In the Piazza della Libertà lies one of the oldest constructions of Florence: Porta San Gallo. This gate dates back to 1284. It was included in the fortification walls of Florence. It was modified substantially in XVIII the century when it came enriched for greeting the arrival of the new Granduca Francisco Stefano di Lorena. On the sides of the arch stand two stone lions.