The Augustinian foundation of the Church of Santo Spirito dates from 1250. The modest 18th century façade of the church is due to be restored at any time. Santo Spirito was meant by Brunelleschi to be a twin to S. Lorenzo, but the facade was never finished. The original building was destroyed by fire in 13th century and in 1435 Brunelleschi was commissioned to design a new church for the Augustinians. Brunelleschi died too soon and the work was ended (not so successfully) by Antonio Manetti, Giovanni da Gaiole and Salvi d’Andrea. The dome, too, is by Brunelleschi while the campanile is by Baccio d'Agnolo (1503). The church interior is thought to be one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture. Santo Spirito is decorated with works by Rosselli, Ghirlandaio, Lippi. The sacristy adjoining the vestibule was designed by Giuliano da Sangallo in 1489. The refectory Cenacolo, is now a small museum which houses a fresco featuring the Crucifixion (1360-65), attributed to Carlo Orcagna.
San Spirito dominates the northern end of Piazza di Santo Spirito.